Sunday, March 1, 2009
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
I recently stumbled upon an interview with Spike Jonze in which he talks about his upcoming film adaptation Where the Wild Things Are. I am a huge Spike Jonze fan, so the second I heard that he would be adapting the classic children's book, I was compelled to see what he would come up with. He has an odd and unusual directing style, which would be perfect for this type of story.

Where the Wild Things Are is Jonze's third feature film. His first two, Being John Malkovich, and Adaptation, were huge critical successes and even earned Jonze an Oscar nomination for Best Director. Aside from directing, he also acts, produces, and writes for many other projects.

In the interview, Jonze promises that the film wasn't approached in a typical 'Hollywood' way. Instead of using a soundstage or green screen to recreate the vivid jungles, the movie was actually filmed in Australia.

Judging from the interview, the film is well on it's way to being completed. It began filming in 2005 and has since been in post-production for a few years. The movie was to originally be released May 2008, but has since been pushed back to October 16, 2009.

Several stills from the film have been released, which has only increased my anticipation. Here is a look at
Where the Wild Things Are:







Here is a link to the interview where you can read all about Where the Wild Things Are:

AND to get a feel for Spike Jonze's filmmaking style, here is a great commercial he directed for the Gap



UPDATE:
The trailer just got released. It looks amazing!

1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm starting to wonder if there's a correlation between artistic sensibility and being exposed to Sendak at an impressionable age. Did you also enjoy 'In the Night Kitchen"?

Post a Comment

WWW.LEORASMEDIABLOG.BLOGSPOT.COM