Every year on February 14th, couples around the world express their love for one another by celebrating Valentine’s Day. Though people are often very opinionated about Valentine’s Day, I am somewhat neutral. I don’t believe it is a very important or significant holiday, but I do think that it is a nice way to celebrate with the person you love.
Valentine’s Day has been branded as a ‘Hallmark Holiday’, which basically means that it only exists for commercial purposes. The U.S. Greeting Card Association estimates that approximately one billion valentines are sent each year worldwide, making the day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year. Since many people believe Valentine’s Day was created by greeting card companies just to make money, they choose to boycott it and not give into the card companies wishes.
Though, I do agree with the ‘Hallmark Holiday’ theory, I still believe that Valentine’s Day is a great part of our culture. Who didn’t enjoy buying cool valentines as a child and giving them to all of your classmates? And it always felt incredible when you were on the other end and received them. Valentine's Day is an important part of childhood. I still have some of the Pokemon and Barbie valentines that I got back in elementary school!
Whether you have a boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse or partner, Valentine’s Day is a day for love and I think it will always be an important worldwide tradition, even though some people profit more than others.